West Mountain Marathon Recap

Late last year, or earlier this year I was generously gifted an entry in to the West Mountain Marathon by my running club, the Idiots Running Club. I was gifted training services for the race as well. Coach Kristie gifted me her services and trained me for this marathon.

This was my third marathon that I’ve ran, but it’s been about 3 years since I’ve ran that distance and this last weekend was the race.

I had mixed feelings about this race. I didn’t look at the race course until a couple of weeks ago and found out that there were some serious hills on the course. During my training I ran hills, but not as many as I probably should have.

Leading up to the race I didn’t really have any nerves. The nerves didn’t hit until I almost got to the starting line.

This was the first year of this particular race, so the race fees were SUPER cheap. Packet pickup went really smooth. Partially I’m sure because it wasn’t a big race. I think there were only 50 of us that ran the full marathon.

We were running a little late, so by the time I got to the starting line, I had about 30 seconds before the race started. I had to hurry and take a puff off of my inhaler and then start running.

I started out at the back of the pack & stayed there most of the time. For the first mile, I was second to last place. There was a guy, who was behind me for a little bit. His name was John. He was pushing a disabled kid in a stroller. My goal was to stay in front of him, but he eventually passed me.

For about the first four miles, I was in last place. Everybody else was at least 1/2 mile in front me. To me that was very discouraging. The only thing that kept me going was that I could at least see the people in front of me and knowing that I was going to pass people at water stops.

I was really worried about getting overwhelmed with the mileage. Because this race was out in the middle of nowhere, there were spots where there was no cell phone signal and I was planning on listening to music the entire run so I wouldn’t get so overwhelmed. So…to accommodate no cell phone signal, I would stop and take pictures and occasionally post on Facebook.

There was a cow that came up to greet me at the fence to say hello.


My husband and my dad would “leap frog” me on the race course. I would usually see them every 3-6 miles. My dad made some awesome signs too to hold up as encouragement for the runners.

There were a couple of times my husband would run with me from where I was to the next water stop. It was great to have that encouragement.

I also got lots of encouragement from John. At the beginning of the race he told me this was his 375th marathon, and 58 of those have been ultras!!! How crazy is that?!?!?

John eventually passed me, but I caught back up with him around mile 8 and we kept “leap frogging” each other on the course. It was always nice to have someone to chat with.

One thing I was worried about with this race was that I wasn’t going to have enough salt intake. I tend to sweat…A LOT (I’m a sweat monster) and you need to have salt/electrolytes to balance it out. I was talking with my coach and she suggested salt tablets. Well, I didn’t get to the store in time before the race to get some, but thankfully they had pretzels at all of the water stops and that seemed to help ALOT.

Here I was at mile 13. I was at the 1/2 way point. I was feeling pretty strong. To be honest, I felt pretty strong the entire time, except for my hamstrings kept getting kind of tight, so every so often, I’d have to stop and stretch it out.


I didn’t have any goals for this race, but to start it and finish it and have a good time in between. Once I started the race, I kind of had a secret goal to get in under 6 hrs. I was on track to do that too, until I stopped to take some pictures.



I ran in to the finish at 6:05:36. Oh well, I’ll take what I can get.

There’s only a couple of things I would change about this race. First off, I would start the race earlier. It didn’t start until 8 a.m. So, that means that by about mile 9, it was pretty dang hot. The only other thing I would change is I’d rather have a t-shirt in my packet than a hat. Oh well.

I did realize though during my run that I do have another marathon coming up in October. I’m kind of excited about it. I was supposed to run the marathon last October, but due to lack of training, they let me defer it to this year.

So, my next 2 races: Utah State Triathlon Championships (70.3 course) in September and SoJoMarathon in October.

What races do you have coming up?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s