So…2 weeks ago this coming Monday I broke my toe. I’m CONVINCED it’s the dog’s fault. I gave Tank a bath earlier that day. He doesn’t like baths.
Later that night, I tripped over one of his dog toys/treats (I’m convinced he strategically placed it there) and I went foot first in to the couch. It hurt SUPER bad. I screamed MANY obscenities.
It was my baby toe on my right foot, so I couldn’t really buddy tape it. My baby toe is significantly shorter than my other toes, so it makes it tough to buddy tape it. I’m convinced this was Tank’s pay back for me giving him a bath. Lol.
That night it hurt to do ANYTHING. It hurt to walk, it hurt to put on a shoe, it hurt if the sheets on the bed touched it. It just wasn’t fun.
So, I had to make a decision. I was already behind on my training for my 70.3 in September. I was going to have to take at least 1 week off of training because of my broken toe. I was already behind on marathon training too for my marathon in Oct. I talked with a friend that is also a coach, and I made the executive decision to back out of my 70.3 in September. :( I’ve emailed the race director to see if I can at least demote myself to the Olympic distance, but haven’t heard back from him yet. I’m probably going to demote myself to the 1/2 marathon distance of my race in October too.
Am I bummed? Yes. Is it the right thing to do? Most likely. I mean, I’m going on vacation next week too. Let’s get real folks, there isn’t going to be a lot of training going on while on vacation either.
I do have to say…I feel a lot less pressure on myself for training right now, knowing that I don’t have a 70.3 in September that I’m SO not ready for.
I have decided though, once I get back from vacation, it’s time to REALLY knuckle down with training because I want to train and do Ironman St George 70.3 next year. It’s a TOUGH course, but if I start training and building my endurance now, I think I can do it. No…I KNOW I can do it. :)
Have you ever had to back out of a race before?